“Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure.” [Earl Nightingale] What does it really take to be successful in selling today? Allow me to share those guidelines that I find worthwhile.
My 10 secrets to selling success can be expressed in an acronym: DO SAGE WORK. This acronym actually provides the foundation of what it takes to be successful. “Do” means to take action. To be successful means that you have to do something. Lots of people don’t do anything. They may have good intentions but that won’t lead to success—you actually have to take action and get moving. “Sage” refers to being smart and wise, doing something after thoughtful reflection. It means that you learn from your experiences to help guide you in how to proceed. “Work” is probably the most powerful word for there is no substitute for hard work. To be successful, you need to be prepared to do things that others won’t.
“Do sage work” can be interpreted multiple ways: it can mean to do your best, to do work that benefits the greater good, or to not settle for mediocre. All of these apply—which is why I like the acronym. So read on and see if any of these gems can help set you on your path to selling success.
D = Defeat
- You can’t give up. Failure is not an option. As Og Mandino stated, “I will persist until I succeed.”
O = Outlook
- Your mindset, your attitude/ approach/ outlook is what drives your success. If you think you can, you will. And if you think you can’t, you won’t. Both are right—it is your mindset that makes the difference.
S = Secret
- The real secret to success is that there are no secrets. Odds are that you have heard these ‘secrets’ before. However, to succeed in selling is a continual process. You can’t rest on your laurels but need to strive to improve daily.
A = Arranged
- Be organized, be prepared. Your day should be arranged and not left helter-skelter. Organize what you need to do and how to accomplish it.
G = Goals
- Goals are critical to success. You need to define what you are aiming for and what steps you need to take to get there.
E = Exposure
- Exposure to new ideas is how you develop. Reading and studying exposes you to the latest thoughts and concepts required to consistently get better.
W = Words
- Words Matter. It is not only what you want to say but how you say it that determines how well someone listens to what you say.
O = Obstacles
- Obstacles are necessary for success. We learn best from our failures. As Henry Ford said, “Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, only this time more wisely.”
R = Relationships
- Relationships are essential for success. No one can do it alone. You need to understand and leverage the power of valuable business relationships.
K = Knowledge
- Knowledge is crucial to success for our customers look to us for advice and guidance on what will work best for them. Learning how to use our knowledge is a difference maker.
If you follow the advice contained in this acronym, the likelihood increases that you will succeed. I know it has worked for me—and I hope by sharing these guidelines that you’ll learn what you need to do to be successful in selling.